19 Apr Top 10 tips for telemarketing success
By Simon White, SW Business Development, 19th April 2017
Northamptonshire based Business Development Expert, Simon White, shares his top 10 tips for telemarketing success.
1. Set clear objectives – Are you looking to generate a qualified face to face appointment or make a sale? Who do you want to speak to/meet with? Make sure you set yourself a clear objective.
2. Do your pre-call research – Use social media to research who you need to speak to and gain background information prior to picking up the phone.
3. Use a blended prospecting approach – Don’t just rely on the telephone, use other tools such as social media, email, direct mail and networking to help warm prospects prior to telephoning.
4. Utilise the best possible data – Whether it is purchased from a specialist broker or self-generated, make sure it is up to date and relevant. Bad data is frustrating, de-motivating and costly.
5. Manage your progress – A good CRM system is at the heart of every successful sales campaign, allowing you to track your calls, log your notes and manage your sales pipeline.
6. Structure your calls – The biggest mistake is saying too much and sounding too salesy – keep it short, keep it conversational and never sound like a telemarketer!
7. Know what to ask – Prepare a list of open-ended questions to build rapport and qualify opportunities. Your time is valuable and you should only meet with prospects that meet your criteria.
8. Anticipate objections – Know what they could be and have the answers – objections are often a buying signal and provide you with the opportunity to satisfy concerns.
9. Support materials – Create good supporting information, such as case studies, to provide to the prospect if required.
10. Diary management – Always confirm meetings, ideally by sending the prospect an Outlook invitation. It is worthwhile calling the prospect a few days prior to the meeting to confirm your/their expectations for the meeting and to check the address and parking details.